Temporary Housing Vs Extended Stays
The need for temporary housing may arise suddenly, or it may be planned for months in advance, but in either case, it is the best option for people who need a comfortable home for an extended period. The term “temporary housing” may conjure images of cramped quarters and barely-enough amenities, but quality is relative here. Modern short-term rentals are now class-A residential properties. In other words, properties that are comparable, or superior, to high-end hotels.
Five Reasons to Consider Temporary Housing
Temporary housing is a general term that doesn’t properly describe its potential for professionals and families. Here’s five of the main reasons to consider temporary housing:
- Temporary housing provides needed flexibility – Most industries and government institutions are constantly moving their human resources all over the country. Sometimes this is a permanent arrangement, but most times it’s only temporary. Project managers, consultants, specialists, military personnel – these are the kinds of people whose skills are in regular demand, so their presence is needed as well. Once they’re done with their current assignment, they will be on the road again.For organizations that rely on these professionals, it’s expensive and taxing to lean on a short-term residential solution like a hotel. Hotels are not suited and designed with longer-term visitors in mind. They are built for the weekend vacationer or the traveler who needs a place to sleep, but busy professionals need more. A long-term lease is impractical given the shorter timeline that these people operate on. Most apartments and homes want a longer commitment than organizations need, making them an impractical option.Temporary housing offers that perfect medium between a hotel and a traditionally leased home or apartment. Designed to adapt to the professional’s and organization’s residential needs, these units can be rented out for as little as a month, or for years, depending on what the organization needs. Floorplans, amenities and costs are calibrated to this arrangement, so it’s a targeted residential solution.
- Temporary housing is a perfect option when testing out new hires – Some industries prefer their newest members to go through a test run prior to hiring. It’s tough to know what medical interns, business interns and creative professionals will provide before they are thrust into the role. When handling such personnel, it’s risky for the company to pay for a relocation or provide a full housing allowance before their new hire is proven. What makes more sense is to maintain a close relationship with a locator service. Short-term housing can be set up rapidly and will provide the professional with the environment they need to succeed. If a company expects to give multiple applicants a tryout before settling on a permanent hire, short-term rentals offer a simple residential option for both applicant and organization.Temporary housing can also help professionals feel out their new surroundings and determine whether a job is right for them. In doing so, they will usually bring their family, which means a larger residence is mandatory.
- Temporary housing can provide relief to displaced families – These rentals are not just for business professionals. It is also a primary backup should a household experience sudden misfortune. Natural disasters like floods and fires are obvious reasons why a family may be driven to a short-term rental, but pest infestation, loss of job, long-term illness and medical treatment, and the loss of a loved one may leave a family with few good options. Short-term housing can help these families either transition to a new, permanent residence, or stay until their home has been restored.
- Temporary housing offers superior comfort and amenities compared to hotels – Again, reputable residential solution providers only deal in class-A properties. These are the cream of the crop, the best on the market. Each residence is fully furnished with modern furnishings and fully provisioned for a longer-term stay. This includes essentials like cookware, glassware, linens, utensils and the like. In most cases, the only thing the resident needs to bring is clothing and any personal belongings they’d like to have on hand.Short-term apartments are upscale, so residents can expect a kitchen, a living room, an expanded bedroom (often with a king size bed), a dedicated area for getting work done, and laundry appliances in the unit. Many providers include bi-weekly housekeeping services for added convenience.
- Temporary housing is cost-effective – All of this flexibility and comfort must come at a premium, right? Surprisingly, these rentals are usually less expensive than extended stay hotels, and by a considerable margin. Upscale hotels have powerful brand presence and additional marketing channels to advertise their product, driving up demand and, therefore, price. Hotels also charge a tax for people staying more than 30 days, which increases the final cost.Short-term accommodations aren’t advertised heavily, so apartment complexes with temporary residences are willing to compete on price, much to the consumer’s benefit.
As long as the consumer has a trusted partner on their side, temporary housing offers an unbeatable combination of lower costs with better amenities and maximum comfort.